Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Sport Series

This is one of the surviving sport paintings of the cyclist. I wasn't trying to capture movement but rather emotion with these works - I considered the moment before the athlete competes and their mindset.
This painting wasn't working at all somehow it seemed to be stuck and I just couldn't see it going anywhere. I had in mind the surfer standing on the beach checking the swell, standing with his arms folded.
Another surfer with board but also a very stuck painting with colours that just seemed too repetitive. So this painting got the whitewash too!


Out of all these intuitive paintings, this one worked the best - it was also the first painting I did in this series. I've always worked with visual reference and stuck to a fairly realistic format, this was a complete departure for me and I really enjoyed this painting.

No comments: