Friday, July 4, 2008

How to Deal With An Artist in the Family

As a reclusive artist stuck amidst suburbia, I have some invaluable advice to all those who consider themselves void of any artistic or creative ability whatsoever:
Conceptual visualisation no. 1 when dealing with an artist:
Never assume that an artist can fulfill all creative roles. Yes, there are some painful individuals who excel at just about anything they attempt and those of us who don't fall into that category look on enviously, but on the whole, just because you can paint a portrait, doesn't mean you can decorate a table or a room. Oh, if I only had a rand for every time I heard "Oh, you're creative, you can do this job" I'd be a millionaire and capable of giving up my day job and painting to my heart's content! Yes, even in the current economic climate of South Africa, I would still have enough money to do this!!
Conceptual visualisation no. 2 when dealing with an artist - but probably the most important rule of all...
Never EVER EVER refer to an artist's work or career as a HOBBY. As your mouth forms this word in slow motion, the said artist is throwing a million curses at you in their head - or, if they're Italian they're screaming the curses out loud. Yes, the artist might have to have a day job to bring in the bread and butter, but don't ever let that fool you into thinking the artist doesn't sit all day at a desk and imagine a million paintings and drawings and compositions... The artist's mind never stops creating and planning even if the fingers aren't involved. A visitor to our home was looking at some of my paintings and he accidentally mentioned the word hobby - but to his credit, he hastily covered up his error and replaced it with the illustrious brightly shining word: career. My, did he impress me. I have to say, I wondered if this was a result of having an artist in the family, or whether my face gave something away! It might have been a bit of both.
Conceptual visualisation no. 3 when dealing with an artist:
Never venture to ask if there's really any money in art - that just shows how narrow minded and uninformed you are. There are so many artists making enough money not only to build lavish houses - even in the current South African economic crisis - and live lifestyles of the rich and famous, that it's absurd to assume, as many do, that your fortune as an artist will only be made once you're pushing up daisies. You may be wondering then, why I'm still sitting at a desk imagining paintings, artworks and composition structures all morning - well, let's just say I'm a late bloomer and tenacious about sticking to a goal.
So, that's pretty much the ground work of dealing with an artist. I'm sure I've forgotten many other rules, but don't worry, the people around me remind me regularly of the rules and I'll be sure to share them with you as I get reminded. I'll grit my teeth and grin... maybe I should carry a piece of leather around... But then pretty soon the secret will be out and whenever I reach for the leather, everyone will know they've overstepped the art rule boundaries... Of course, by that time, the leather will be as thin as a tissue and it'll be time to change tactics anyway!

1 comment:

Jinjajam said...

Is this one angry artist or what??? I love your work..post something 4 all 2 C.
Your mother-in law has 'Hobbies' you have career's !!!!