Thursday, July 10, 2008

Journal drawings

This drawing is a combination of a prelim drawing for a series of paintings on sport - I was sitting at a swimming lesson for my daughter and I started some drawings. I only began producing the final oils about 3-4 years later. That seems to be the norm for me. Most of my prelim drawings and ideas take a long time before I actually start the final piece. The colour mixed media piece was done while I was studying and it's way back in the day of tapes... before ipods! Reeva and I had some leftover Archers Vellum and we made tape covers. Most of the tape covers were a combination of work from both of us - amazing since they're so small! Reeva is inclined to be more minimilistic in her composition - she's selective about the amount of detail she puts in. I was inclined at this stage to go completely overboard with detail and squeezing as much into an area as possible. Even my professor commented on this with a portrait I produced: she called it "overworking".

This is a drawing I did after seeing the movie Lady in the Water (or is that of the Water?) by M. Knight Shaymalan.
A logo I designed for our email address.

An illustration in pen and ink - I love working with technical drawing pens. It's not the same as working with a dipping pen because the width of the line doesn't vary, but both mediums are really fun to work with and of course I can go completely overboard with detail with pen and ink.

No comments: