Monday, August 3, 2009

Humble Pie

I remember reading a quote that said something to the effect of: never compare yourself to others, there will always be greater and lesser people and you will either be inclined to think more or less of yourself because of it.
Well, Sunday gave me a real lesson in humility.
For a couple of weeks now, I've been moping around feeling miserable and hard done by, wondering how long my creative genius (ha ha ha ha ha ha) will continue to be stifled and suppressed as I subject myself to the suburban necessity of income generating work. I met a lady from Zimbabwe on Sunday and she told me a little bit about herself and her family.
I'm in awe of her and people like her - people who sacrifice and who face trials but never become bitter or angry and who calmly face whatever comes along with cheerfulness and unwavering faith. She reminded me that although things are really rough, there are people who are worse off - and no, that doesn't remove the problems I face - but it does somehow make it a little more manageable. And for some or other unknown reason, it gave me back a little bit of hope which I've seriously been lacking after so many disappointing rejections.
Even Rachel keeping me up all night didn't deter my more positive outlook!
P.S. Can toddlers who don't talk please come with a mini computer that when they're crying miserably at 01h30 you can identify why exactly they're yelling at you??

1 comment:

Denae said...

Sorry you are feeling down, hon. I like your positive outlook despite it all. Kinda know how you're feeling. Three rejection letters for my second book proposal came back this week. Ugh! But every "no" is one closer to a "yes."