Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ode to Terry Pratchett

I was horrified to learn that Terry Pratchett has been diagnosed with alzheimers. I adore his work and I thoroughly enjoy the discworld characters.
I've just finished the reaper and am reading Jingo. I remember someone saw one of his latest books - well, for SA anyway! I think it was called Monstrous Regiment or something - at any rate, someone saw the cover which is slightly different to the normal covers and they brought me some books, thinking the author was in the same vein... The books were by Stephen King... I took them to the book exchange the next day! Stephen King is just not my cup of tea, thanks. If anyone knows anything about Discworld, you'll know that there's a guild for just about everything - a thieves guilde and assassins guilde, etc. So, in my feverish state of flu in the last couple of days I watched the news and discovered that there was in fact a "guilde" for unemployment! In Durban or is that KZN? a bunch of unemployed people looted two large chainstores of food and groceries. The representative of the Unemployed Association said that people were hungry - and that they weren't actually looting, they just couldn't pay for the food. ??? I wondered if reality and fiction were slowly beginning to merge, or perhaps the fever was slightly worse than I first suspected!
Where's inspector Vimes and Carrot when you need them?

1 comment:

Denae said...

Not much of a S. King fan either! Toooooo scary!