Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Artist Quandry

I wonder if it's normal to go for months and months at a time without picking up a brush? I don't think it is actually - I think that's probably the difference between artists appearing on Top Billing and artists tenaciously slogging away at an objective of some sort!
Whatever the case, I finally picked up the paintbrush yesterday. I did some finishing touches to my last two works and then spent the rest of the night hounding publishers via email. My next objective is to sand down some canvases and start producing some acrylic work in a different genre.
Halfway through my email list, I wondered if this action was actually going to bare any fruit - I mentioned my doubts to Richard who proceeded to give me a lecture on doing something completely different... (And now, for something completely different...) and that's when I was reminded that really - men and women are communicating on vastly different levels. Or maybe it's creative people vs non creative people??
Rachel sauntered over while I was busy and helped herself to a brush and water. She then proceeded to paint water in an old dictionary the girls had in their book shelf. It takes so little to make her blissfully happy. The creative vibe became contagious - Rebecca and Emma got stuck into their fabric painting to recover the cushions. They're looking really good. I had suggested we make covers for the lounge cushions because they're looking a little worse for wear. At first I watched them and thought... Hmm, maybe we'll just cover those old cushions at the back of the linen cupboard and keep them there until their 21st birthdays.... But now they're looking quite good! Mine are taking forever - but I am inclined to go a bit overboard with detail.

1 comment:

Denae said...

Sounds fun, Lou. Let's see pictures of the cushions when you have time. x