Friday, July 17, 2009

Ridley gets Weird on us...

I watched A Good Year and I sort of wondered what the heck happend to poor Ridley Scott that he made such a bad, out of character movie. And let it be known that Russell Crowe was positively pathetic - apart from wondering when on earth he was going to shave that stupid dirty face hair off (I think we've discussed the whole issue of not everybody being able to carry off a goatie - well, the same applies to unshaven faces...). The awful hairy mugg made his nose look bulbous and growth like and as for those horrendous "hip" glasses... Evidently, Russell is just not meant to wear glasses as well as sport an unshaven mug.
The scenery is amazing, but lets face it - even the most absurdly inept photographer (if you look that phrase up in the dictionary, you'll find my name) wouldn't be able to mess up the Tuscan landscape. And, having been versed extensively in cinematography, one would sort of expect Ridley to come up trumps when it comes to capturing images and compositions - whether still or in movement.
I don't know if it was Russell's very poor attempt at an english accent that repelled me like citronella does the cats, but honestly - that english/australian drawl was even more laborious to endure than American actors making bad attempts at South African accents (Leonardo excluded).
I'd like to say I could sit through that movie again to soak in the amazing scenery, but I can't - I have some paint on canvas that I'd prefer to watch as it dries!!

1 comment:

Denae said...

You are not going to like State of Play then either. Crow has a beard and is 20 pounds heavier. The American accent is pretty poor too.