Thursday, April 16, 2009

So...Am I going to have to walk to hospital again?

Ha ha! Thought that might grab your attention! While everyone was settling into a chocolate frenzy on Friday and the town resembled every Sunday from the early 80's, (No shops were allowed to open on Sundays in SA) Richard was writhing in pain and agony as he struggled with yet another bunch of kidney stones.
We live around the corner from the hospital and a few years back when the kidney stones started, Richard phoned me one morning to come and fetch him from work in the 8am traffic. I was due to see one of my students off at the airport - he was off to Kenya for 2 years and I got moderately het up at the thought of a major detour in the opposite direction of the airport. So, I finally got back to the flat and barely screeched to a halt (the car might have been still moving as Rich collapsed out the door...) and I told Richard to wait at the flat, I'd be 15 minutes. He moaned dreadfully and I told him to stop being such a Nancy and wait at the flat. I knew if I dropped him at the hospital, I'd have to stand and fill out forms as he sat on the chair all grey with his eyes rolling back...
Well, I raced off to the airport only to see Mawande's aeroplane glide smoothly into the glaring white sky. By the time I got back to the flat, Rich had walked to the hospital and do know that he milked that one...
When he tells people he had to walk to the hospital with kidney stones, they look at me completely horrified...
It takes one minute with a walker, man! There's an old age home around the corner too and the old folk often take a stroll to the doctor in the medical suites attached to the hospital.
So, as Richard sat quietly in a corner with beads of sweat at his hairline, he asked rather pathetically, 'So, am I going to have to walk to hospital again?'

Thanks Missy!

2 comments:

Missy said...

walking to the hospital with kidney stones?nothing to get too phased about however I would really start worrying if he told me that he had called his Mum! LOL Good Post

Denae said...

Poor Richard! I do feel sorry with him. Kidney stones are awful. Hope he is feeling better but I did laugh out loud reading this post.