Friday, March 13, 2009

Heat Wave Continues

Holy cow it is so hot. I don't know if it's just me, but I do notice a marginal drop in the temperature of the wind or hot breath that follows you around like an over eager dog... I am so ratty this morning! It's hardly noticeable, I know... Unless you're my family, of course.

We put Rachel in a bed last night. What a daft idea. I woke up growling at everyone, snapping at them and asking irritably whose bright idea it was to put the baby in the bed. Actually it was mine, and rather have sleepless nights now than in 6 months time when she's sleeping through the night. Who am I kidding? This kid will NEVER sleep through the night... Well, that's the way it feels right now anyway.

So, when she finally fell asleep with Rich at 8pm last night, I thought - oh great! that wasn't so bad... Ha! By 10.30 - 11.00 she was up again, walking around with her 4 essential items: the bottle, the blanket, the furry cat (not the real one) and the dummy that everyone tries really hard to pry from her mouth. I eventually got out of her room at 1.30am - and I felt like those guys from WWE must feel like the morning after. Now I know why there was so much banging going on in the bedroom at night! That kid is like a puppy who can't find a comfortable spot... You know how they scrape the blankets and make circles for hours before they eventually collapse? Well this kid was rolling around, kicking her legs up and down, kicking me in the back and flapping her legs over me as though I were the edge of a swimming pool and she had her feet in the water. The best was the occasional head butt as she sat up and then threw herself down. She really loves doing that - I'm amazed she hasn't broken her nose yet. At one point, I'm convinced she was lying there, squeezing the teet of her really worn out bottle and squirting milk in my face. Like the kicking wasn't punishment enough for wrenching her from her little safety cocoon in the cot.

Sigh! So, this morning I was a gruesome sight (I really feel sorry for the people I work with...) with a temperament to match. And then a friend sent me an email of the shark in the harbour... Yes, this is the same harbour that Emma swam in 2 weeks ago. Oops - I'd better ensure that Emma's Nanna doesn't read this... I have a sneaky suspicion the shark is a great white. Gulp. So much for sailing lessons...

Did I mention I also forgot my friend's birthday? Unforgiveable!

My hair is reacting strangely to a couple of bad dye jobs - Rich keeps looking at it and shaking his head. Then he asks ever so politely: Can't you do something about that eastern european look?

Growl.

No comments: