Thursday, March 26, 2009

Almost Weekend!

I have one painting looking at me forlornly from the corner of the room - I say painting, since that is what it will eventually become, but at present, it's more like a hazy colour outline of what will be! I tried to do some work last night, but I managed to do one pot in the painting and that was it. I haven't really thought these colours through and I haven't worked on a painting for more than 3 months, so I'm really forcing myself to soldier on.
The thing about having a lull or block or whatever you might have, is that it seems to sort itself out if you just sit down and work. Someone once said to me that you have to produce bad art at times to get to the good art. (Anybody ever seen Leonardo's St John? It's supposed to be one of the worst paintings ever - you won't find it easily. I still think it's brilliant - so there goes that theory) Maybe it really isn't bad art after all - maybe as the artist, you're just so critical of what you do that everything you put down just looks bad. Actually, that pretty much describes a lot of what I do! Talk about being your own worst critic.

No comments: