Friday, August 29, 2008

Now that's a Fire

A funny thing happened a while back, and everytime I put oil on the stove, I smile to myself as I remember the incident.
richard has always been very safety conscious about hot oil. Apparently something happened in their home - the abbreviated version being: a pot of oil for chips, forgetting it on the stove and giant flames licking the ceiling.
So, every time there's a bottle of oil within a 50 mile radius - even a cold, sealed bottle - Richard gets a nervous twitch and blurts out: 'Watch the oil' almost like a censored turets outburst!
Ironically, Richard is the one who makes the most delicious chips in the family and one night he was just finishing up another batch of his amazing chips, when lo and behold a drop of oil messes on the stove plate and ignites a tiny little flame that dances around the plate for a minute. Emma walks into the kitchen, takes one look at the stove and asks happily,
'Are we braaing(barbecuing) tonight?'
I still crack up when I tell that story.
WATCH THE OIL!
Sorry, that was Richard.

1 comment:

Denae said...

Nan told me about this story - I guess it was a pretty bad fire. Kings doesn't remember it as well but told me about Vanessa blowing up a can of condensed milk... Great stories. How funny about Emma...lol..a braai yay!! Good post.