Thursday, August 14, 2008

More Advice on How to Deal with an Artist...

Some drawings I fiddle with between fetching and carrying kids, awaiting results from doctors who like to leave you on the edge of the knife before letting you know that it's ok, you don't have cancer, cleaning the holocaust we like to call a home, and wondering if SA really is going to get as expensive as Zim...

I like this one, but you can't see the detail.


Especially an untidy one...



When it comes to art in a confined space, there's always a debacle about the appearance of an art work space. Let's face it. It's not a pretty sight - and I'm neat - relatively speaking - when I work. When I was studying we had a couple of guys we had to share the studio space with... THEY WERE HORRENDOUS. I think it was their objective to defile a canvas as much as possible with every conceivable substance known to man including a couple of highly flammable toxins.

We would return to our spaces and find wax or any other mess smeared all over our tables and floors - I'm amazed to this day that they spared the roof and walls. Duncan in particular had some sort of unhealthy obsession with wax. I really expected him to end up creating wax furniture and accessories and selling it on ebay as installation art. He was a sculpture major and made an equally bizarre mess in the communal sculpture space with little artistically profitable outcome. Yes, that's my way of saying his work wasn't all that fantastic!

So, technically speaking, my portable artspace is actually a gleaming beam of cleanliness. Unfortunately, Richard likes neatness and order.

Can you imagine telling a radiologist to pack away her things when she's done for the day and make sure the kids can't play with the buttons?

Aside from how long it actually takes to unpack everything - by the time you've got everything out and are ready to start, the night shift is over, buddy and your eyelids are dragging you off to bed before your body even realises what's going on.

So the portable artspace still isn't completely resolved. And when you deal with an artist, maybe you should stick them in the garage - especially if their name is Duncan...

I have to chuckle when I think about a story my friend was reading. I can't remember the title or author, I just remember him telling me about this story of a frustrated artist and her husband picks up a brush and produces some work and becomes an instant success. He said the character reminded him of me. Hmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love the family pic

Denae said...

Lou...was so worried about your health! Thank goodness to hear good news. I know what you mean...I'd like to write more but I don't have much space to get organized or have an office. Sounds like you need a studio that you can look up at the end of the day. We can dream...