Friday, December 11, 2009

Signs of the Times

When we were growing up, we seemed to have this notion of New York being the most crime ridden place in the world - no, the universe... (Don't you love how kids do that) But this morning I was browsing the news on CNN and I read about a shoot out in Madison Square Gardens where the suspect had been shot and no bystanders were injured. (Talk about a Christmas miracle...) It reminded me of the all the violence my own family have been subjected to in the last few years, and suddenly it dawned on me: New York is a BREEZE!!! While driving home from church, some of my family got caught in the crossfire of a cash in transit heist - it was so bad, that their car was shot at - how those bullets managed to miss the driver is another absolute miracle.
Then there was the time Les got hijacked right outside the Temple... Okay, that was Joburg and we all know how bad Joburg is, but still - if I wasn't aware of it before, it's glaringly obvious now that crime is spiralling out of control in this country.
My hope for the new year is that where ever possible we can educate and focus the youth - if they have positive goals and are driven to make themselves better, there won't be room for getting up to mischief and crime. If only crime and drugs wasn't so damn glorified by the media - if only money wasn't so lauded by society and everyone could acknowledge that actually, there are some things worth more than money can buy...

1 comment:

Denae said...

I think positive direction needs to come from S-A's leadership too. Guns and shoot-outs are glorified by your President! For me, guns are too easy to come by legally or illegally and a lot of them export from the U-S.